FREE professional development session
- Guidance, tips and expertise in incorporating Musical Futures pedagogy and resources in your teaching at any level.
- Introducing Just Play – A Guide to Using Musical Futures Whole Class Instrumental Approach is a chance to explore the core pedagogical approaches of this innovative and highly successful approach to teaching whole class music whilst exploring the Just Play resources available on our new online resources platform, Musical Futures Online
- Musical Futures Online has been designed to support teachers to deliver music in an engaging, practical and enjoyable way incorporating the values and ethos of the Musical Futures approach.
- If possible, please have the following equipment to hand – pair of drumsticks/a ukulele/a guitar or tuned percussion
- This session will take place via Zoom and all places must be booked in advance – please do not book a space unless you are sure you can attend
- If you are unable to attend the live training, you can request to access the video recording HERE
Aims of the session
Just Play is designed to provide a vibrant and authentic curriculum approach that engages students in whole class music making. The step by step resource supports the development of musical knowledge and rhythmic awareness alongside instrumental skill development on drums, guitar, bass, keyboard and ukulele.
The use of backing tracks and music that students like, enjoy and identify with throughout the resource ensures a high level of engagement from all learners. Opportunities for differentiation within the resource mean that it is equally suited to students at both primary and secondary stages of education from ages 9-14 (years 5 – 9), and can be adapted to cater for students of all abilities.
- Understand how to deliver outstanding lessons that are rooted in active music making
- Develop your confidence in playing drums, guitar, bass, keyboard and ukulele
- Explore ways to ensure that students are fully engaged in lessons
- Develop confidence in curriculum development to ensure students are developing knowledge through immersion in practical activities
- Develop classroom approaches that provide a catalyst to involve all students, including disadvantaged groups in music making
- Learn how to build essential performance skills amongst students that will promote achievement and attainment in music
Revisiting Musical Futures
- A look at the Musical Futures approach and how to promote engagement and achievement through practical music-making in your classroom.
Exploring – Musical Futures Online: Just Play
- A tour through Musical Futures Online: Just Play to discover how our new resources platform can work for you in your school
- Be prepared from some practical, hands-on learning!
Who is it for?
This workshop is recommended for those who are already familiar with Musical Futures or for those who would like to find out a little more about how the approach works.
- Heads of Music
- Secondary Music specialists
- Primary music co-ordinators
- Generalist primary teachers
- Instrumental teachers
- Trainee music teachers
- Newly Qualified music teachers
- Community music practitioners
- Youth workers
As well as an insight into Musical Futures: Just Play and a practical workshop to give participants a flavour of Musical Futures Online: Just Play all attendees will receive:
- A free 4 week trial of www.musicalfuturesonline.org (includes full access to Premium membership then access to an ongoing bank of resources used in the training)
- A 10% discount towards Musical Futures Online Premium or Ultimate membership (pay via invoice only) of your choice
Why attend this workshop?
Teachers who use of Musical Futures Online in schools report:
- An increase in numbers of students taking up instrumental lessons on a wider range of instruments
- Better engagement with classroom music for all ages
- Increased student participation in music both in and out of the classroom
Book Your Place
- This workshop is available FREE of charge
- Places are limited and are available on a first come first served basis
- Log in for a prompt start at 4.15pm on Wednesday 6th October
How to Book:
- Secure your place online by using the Book Now button below.
- You will receive the link to attend the online session (via Zoom) in advance of the day.