Just Play is Musical Futures approach to developing instrumental skills, The differentiation opportunities within the resource mean that it is equally suited to students at both primary and secondary stages of education from years 4 – 9. The approach is designed to engage students in whole class music making by providing a simple step by step resource that supports the development of instrumental skills on drums, guitar, bass, keyboard and ukulele, using music that students like, enjoy and identify with.
Aims of the course
- Understand how to deliver outstanding lessons that are rooted in active music making
- Explore ways to ensure that students are fully engaged in lessons
- Develop confidence in promoting and identifying outstanding progress in music learning
- Develop classroom approaches that provide a catalyst to involve all students, including disadvantaged groups in extra-curricular music making
- Build essential performance skills amongst students that will promote achievement and attainment in music
- Understand how the approach works with students by seeing a lesson in action – all Musical Futures courses are delivered by teachers in classroom settings and where possible, include a session that involves students so that delegates can see the approaches in action.
- Building Skills: Explore how to develop instrumental skills in a whole class setting on ukulele, guitar, keyboards, bass and drums. Develop an understanding of how this approach can foster outstanding learning in your own classroom.
- Performing: Have a go at performing a range of current popular songs at different levels and look at how performances can be used to measure progress.
- Just Play In Action: See the approach delivered to a class of students and see how self and peer assessment can be used to promote excellence in this approach in their music lessons.
- Next Steps: Explore the best way to implement Just Play in your classroom/department and gain some practical advice from teachers on how to ensure that this approach can promote outstanding teaching and learning.
Who is it for?
The approach is recommended for use at primary level from years 4 onwards, or in years 7, 8 and 9 at secondary level. The resources are designed in a way that enables non-specialist teachers to deliver engaging music lessons for their students.
- Primary generalist teachers of years 4-6 who want to make music with their classes. This approach to music teaching has been designed and scaffolded for general classroom teachers who don’t consider themselves to be music specialists.
- Primary music specialists Just Play can be adapted for use with a range of instruments or to build on Whole Class Ensemble Tuition.
- Secondary music teachers: Just Play is a great way to build basic instrumental skills on a range of instruments commonly found in the secondary classroom and is ideal for use with years 7-9.
- Instrumental teachers engaged in small group or whole class ensemble tuition.
What Is Included?
A full day training course delivered in a school setting, and involving a class of students (where possible)
- A teachers guide and starter pack
- A download link to the full Just Play materials and resource, which provides a full scheme of work, teacher notes, class materials and play alongs all ready for classroom use straight away.
- Expert guidance through a practical and enjoyable workshop
- The chance to network with local teachers
New Just Play playalong tracks are regularly available to download from the MF website (at an additional cost) so there are always new and up-to-date resources to use with your students!
Benefits of Musical Futures training
Teachers who use of Musical Futures in schools report:
- An increase in numbers of students taking up instrumental lessons on a wider range of instruments
- Increased student participation in concerts and performances
- Better engagement with classroom music for all ages
- Greater satisfaction in relation to their teaching and own musicianship
Book Your Place
Professional development is offered at rates starting at £130+VAT per person, and includes:
- Lunch and refreshments
- Access to exclusive online resources
- Free Musical Futures basic membership.
If you are currently training as a teacher or are in full time education you can take advantage of our student rate starting at £65+VAT.
Secure your place by booking online using the form below. All courses are payable via credit/debit card, PayPal or invoice. For more information contact email@example.com or call 020 7250 8323