DJ’ing can be a great way to engage students in musical learning using technology that is synonymous with many of the styles of music that young people are listening to today. Our DJ Skills workshop is designed for teachers who are interested in developing their schemes of work to include DJ Skills at KS3 and KS4, but who have limited experience in this area and want to develop their confidence and knowledge of how to support their students and plan effective schemes of learning using this technology.
With the inclusion of DJing in the AQA, OCR and Eduqas exam syllabus, not to mention vocational courses, many teachers feel they lack they necessary skills and technical knowledge to encourage students to complete a performance option using technology. This course is designed to unpick the skills needed to succeed at GCSE and will provide video examples of moderated student performances alongside the grades they achieved.
The approach has been developed by a professional DJ and secondary school teacher, and has been carefully planned to ensure that the course allows plenty of time for practical learning so that teachers can become confident in mixing tracks, triggering samples and using a USB DJ controller alongside Serato DJ software.
The course includes a full day of practical activities, examples of student work, a teacher guide, classroom resources, links to tutorials delivered by students and a special discount code to purchase Numark DJ decks at a significantly reduced price for your school.
Aims of the course
- Understand how to deliver outstanding lessons that are rooted in active music making
- Explore ways to engage all students in practical music making through the use of relevant and authentic music technology resources
- Develop confidence in DJing, and the skills involved to perform effectively using a DJ controller
- Develop classroom approaches that provide a catalyst to involve all students, particularly disadvantaged groups in music, and increase the numbers of students opting for Music at KS4
- Build essential performance skills amongst students that will promote achievement and attainment in music
- Understand how the approach works with students – all Musical Futures courses are delivered by teachers in classroom settings who use these approaches with their students.
- Discover DJing: A hands-on exploration of all the necessary equipment & software, what it does and how to use it!
- Get Creative: experimenting with mash-ups, loops and mixes
- Whole-Class DJing: Practical ways to deliver DJ’ing with KS3 classes
- Performing at KS4: A look at the skills required to achieve an excellent performance at GCSE level
Who is it for?
DJ Skills is ideal for secondary teachers and those working with young people in informal music settings who wish to broaden their offer to include DJing and make their curriculum fully inclusive.
What Is Included?
A full day training course delivered in a school setting (where possible), and developing hands-on, practical skills and confidence.
A teachers guide and resource pack containing:
- A download link to the full resource pack which provides advice on equipment & software, teacher notes, class materials and music tracks all ready for classroom use straight away.
- Expert guidance through a practical and enjoyable workshop
- MF videos to support learning
- The chance to network with local teachers
Benefits of Musical Futures training
Teachers who use of Musical Futures in schools report:
- An increase in numbers of students taking up instrumental lessons on a wider range of instruments
- Increased student participation in concerts and performances
- Better engagement with classroom music for all ages
- Greater satisfaction in relation to their teaching and own musicianship
Book Your Place
Bookings open soon – express your interest in attending by emailing: email@example.com
Professional development is offered at £125 (Early Bird)/£145 (Standard) per person, and includes:
- Lunch and refreshments
- Relevant resource packs
- Free Musical Futures basic membership.
For students in full time education, completing a PGCE or on School Direct you can take advantage of our student rate starting at £75. Please bring your student ID with you to the event.
Cancellation policy – Read our terms and conditions HERE
Secure your place by booking online using the form below. All courses are payable via credit/debit card, PayPal or invoice. For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 7250 8323