FREE online professional development session
- Support for non-specialist teachers & music co-ordinators to build confidence, knowledge, skills to lead music in the primary classroom
- Musical Futures in the Primary Classroom – is a chance to revisit the core pedagogical approaches of Musical Futures and how this innovative and highly successful approach to teaching music can be applied in your classroom.
- An opportunity to look at our new online resources platform, Musical Futures Online which has been designed to support teachers to deliver music in an engaging, practical and enjoyable way incorporating the values and ethos of the Musical Futures approach.
- If possible, please have the following equipment to hand – pair of drumsticks/a ukulele/tuned percussion
- This session will take place via Zoom and all places must be booked in advance – please do not book a space unless you are sure you can attend
- If you are unable to attend the live training on TUESDAY 16th November, you can request to access the video recording HERE
Aims of the Session
- A look at the key principles Musical Futures pedagogy and rationale behind the approach (including the informal learning model devised by Professor Lucy Green, Institute of Education)
- Step by step guidance to teaching music through an exciting interactive resource aimed at Years 2 to 6.
- Introduce rhythmic awareness, musical knowledge and instrumental skill development using the instruments on your music trolley – tuned and untuned percussion plus ukulele, acoustic guitars and even keyboards (where available).
- Understand how Musical Futures Online can be utilised to support the Musical Futures approach to learning in the primary classroom
- Exploring: Discover how to develop foundation musical and instrumental skills in a whole class setting
- Developing pulse and rhythm skills: Teaching essential skills for developing a sense of pulse using body percussion, untuned percussion and chair drumming
- Developing instrumental skills: Use tuned percussion, ukulele, guitar and keyboards to learn chords and develop harmonic and rhythmic patterns in preparation for performing a range of songs for all abilities
- Performing: Discover how to develop and lead whole-class performances with your pupils
Who is It For?
- Primary class teachers – who don’t consider themselves to be music specialists
- Primary music co-ordinators – responsible for developing resources and equipment
- Instrumental teachers – can be adapted by teachers engaged in Whole Class Learning
As well as an insight into Musical Futures in the Primary Classroom and a practical workshop to give participants a flavour of Musical Futures Online attendees will receive:
- A free 4 week trial of www.musicalfuturesonline.org (includes full access to Premium membership) then access to an ongoing bank of resources used in the training
- A discount towards Musical Futures Online Standard or Premium membership (pay via invoice only) of your choice
Why attend this online workshop?
Teachers who use of Musical Futures Online in schools report:
- Increase in numbers of students taking up instrumental lessons on a wider range of instruments
- Better engagement with classroom music for all ages
- Increased student participation in music both in and out of the classroom
Book Your Place
- This workshop is available FREE of charge
- Places are limited and are available on a first come first served basis
- Log in for a prompt start at 4.15pm on Tuesday 16th November
- If you are unable to attend the live training, you can request to access the video recording HERE