Our Musical Futures: Just Play Twilight Workshop is an opportunity to discover what the Musical Futures approach to developing instrumental skills has to offer your students. Equally suited to students at both primary and secondary stages of education from years 4 – 9, the Just Play approach is designed to engage all students in whole class music making by providing a simple step by step resource that supports the development of instrumental skills on drums, guitar, bass, keyboard and ukulele, using music that students like, enjoy and identify with.
Aims of the workshop
In a two hour workshop session, delegates will
- Understand how to deliver outstanding lessons that are rooted in active music making.
- Explore ways to ensure that students are fully engaged in lessons.
- Develop confidence in promoting and identifying outstanding progress in music learning.
- Develop classroom approaches that provide a catalyst to involve all students, including disadvantaged groups in extra-curricular music making.
- Build essential performance skills amongst students that will promote achievement and attainment in music.
- See how the approach can work with students.
The Just Play Workshop is designed to introduce delegates to the possibilities of the Just Play approach and how this it can foster outstanding learning.
- Building Skills: Explore how Just Play can develop instrumental skills in a whole class setting on ukulele, guitar, keyboards, bass and drums.
- Performing: Using material from the Just Play Resource, perform a range of current popular songs at different levels and look at how performances can be used to measure progress.
Who is it for?
The approach is recommended for use at primary level from years 4 onwards, or in years 7, 8 and 9 at secondary level. The resources are designed in a way that enables non-specialist teachers to deliver engaging music lessons for their students.
- Primary generalist teachers of years 4-6 who want to make music with their classes. This approach to music teaching has been designed and scaffolded for general classroom teachers who don’t consider themselves to be music specialists.
- Primary music specialists Just Play can be adapted for use with a range of instruments or to build on Whole Class Ensemble Tuition.
- Secondary music teachers: Just Play is a great way to build basic instrumental skills on a range of instruments commonly found in the secondary classroom and is ideal for use with years 7-9.
- Instrumental teachers engaged in small group or whole class ensemble tuition
Any teacher of years 4-6: This approach to music teaching has been designed and scaffolded for general classroom teachers who don’t consider themselves to be music specialists.
Please note that Musical Futures: Just Play is designed to enhance, rather than replace, any specialist music provision that primary schools may already engage with.
What Is Included?
A two hour taster workshop delivered in a school setting includes:
- Expert guidance through a practical and enjoyable workshop which gives an overview of how to use the Just Play resource to maximum effect.
- The chance to network with local teachers.
- Attendees will be offered the option to purchase the full Just Play resource (which includes a sample scheme of work, teacher notes, class materials and playalongs all ready for classroom use) at a special price only available after attending this workshop.
New Just Play playalong tracks are regularly available to download from the MF website (at an additional cost) so there are always new and up-to-date resources to use with your students!
Benefits of Musical Futures training
Teachers who use of Musical Futures in schools report:
- An increase in numbers of students taking up instrumental lessons on a wider range of instruments
- Increased student participation in concerts and performances
- Better engagement with classroom music for all ages
- Greater satisfaction in relation to their teaching and own musicianship
Book Your Place
Our Twilight Just Play Taster Workshops are offered at £30 per person, and include:
- Full Just Play resource (sample scheme of work, teacher notes, class materials and playalongs all ready for classroom use) at a special price.
Cancellation policy: read our terms and conditions HERE
Secure your place by booking online using the form below. All courses are payable via credit/debit card, PayPal or invoice. For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 7250 8323