This session will take place via Zoom and all places must be booked in advance of the day.
The BTEC music vocational qualifications provide an ideal programme of study for students at key stage four who have thrived through a practical approach to learning at key stage three. The qualifications continue to be approved by the DfE and are included in 2021 league tables.
This online session will give delegates an opportunity to experience practical approaches to the delivery of BTEC music levels 2 & 3 as well as how Musical Futures approaches and resources can be used to enhance learning and make the course accessible for all students, whatever their background and prior learning.
The session will also touch upon understanding the specification and assessment.
Note: This session is delivered by teachers who successfully deliver the BTEC music qualifications in their own setting – representatives from Pearson are not present.
- Guidance, tips and expertise in incorporating Musical Futures pedagogy and resources in your teaching at BTEC levels 2 & 3
- Engaging and practical ways to studying BTEC music levels 2 & 3 with ideas with activities in listening, performing and composing.
- The session will also touch on understanding the specification and assessment
- Resources used in the session will be available to all delegates but will also reference Musical Futures Online which can support teachers to deliver BTEC music in an engaging, practical and enjoyable way incorporating the values and ethos of the Musical Futures approach.
Aims of the session
- A look at the key principles Musical Futures pedagogy and rationale behind the approach to support the teaching of BTEC Music at levels 2 and 3 in an interactive and practical way
- Learn how to approach the development of knowledge and understanding through relevant and authentic musical activities
- Develop an understanding of the impact of learning through performance-based activity
- Learn how to approach songwriting in an innovative, engaging and student-friendly way that gives students the best opportunity to succeed
- Understand how Musical Futures resources and Musical Futures Online can be utilised to support the Musical Futures approach to learning at examination level
Be prepared from some practical, hands-on learning – please have an instrument to hand
- Keeping practical music-making at the forefront of BTEC teaching using Musical Futures models and practical approaches to learning
- BTEC Music Level 2 – developing your students: learning through performance – using Musical Futures resources to explore and perform as a basis for developing knowledge and skills
- BTEC Music Level 3 – making the theoretical practical
- Developing student creativity and performance – encouraging your students to really use their ears to recreate successful performances
Who is it for?
This online session is recommended for those who are already familiar with Musical Futures and who would like to see how this approach can be used successfully in teaching the BTEC Music Level 2 & 3 specifications
- Heads of Music
- Classroom music teachers
- Instrumental teachers/freelance staff involved in BTEC delivery
As well as an insight into how to teach BTEC Music using Musical Futures approaches attendees will receive:
Why attend this training session?
- Led by a teacher with experience and success in delivering the BTEC qualification with their own students
- Increase student participation in creative subjects
- All resources used in the session included
- An opportunity to build a collaborative network of support with other music teachers
Book Your Place
Places are limited and are available on a first come first served basis
How to Book:
- Secure your place online by using the Book Now button below.
- You will receive the link to attend the online session (via Zoom) in advance of the day.
- Please do not book a space unless you are sure you can attend, otherwise you will be taking up a space for someone who may have wished to attend but the workshop was full.