Children in the UK have a rich history of playing music and enjoying the wider benefits it has on learning and wellbeing. However, cultural education has undergone dramatic changes over the last decade. Most significantly, is the declassification of music as a core subject in secondary school, reduced public spending on cultural education.
Research from Arts Council England and Cultural Learning Alliance also found:
- Students from low income families that take part in arts activities are 3 times more likely to gain a degree
- Students who study arts subjects are more employable and more likely to stay in employment than those than those from other disciplines
- Levels of wellbeing are generally reported to be higher amongst those with higher arts and culture engagement
- Taking part in structured music activities improves attainment in maths, early language acquisition and early literacy
- Participation in structured arts activities increases cognitive abilities
We want to continue our work with teachers to do what we can to support music education in the UK. Musical Futures now operates solely on income generated from training and resource sales so your support for us matters.
How Can You Help?
Whilst ALL of the original Musical Futures material, publications and resources around informal learning and non-formal teaching (around 200 resources) are still freely available and open source for anybody to access, any new material developed (and our training courses) do have a cost attached but this enables us to keep our network and ongoing programme of development going.
As an organisation, Musical Futures remains committed to working with teachers to keep music alive in our schools and to nurture the creative talent of tomorrow. Please help us to continue this work by continuing to support our work.
There are a number of ways you can do this:
|Can you spare us the price of a coffee?|
The cost of 2 coffees would help us keep your Musical Futures Resources network open. Donations will ensure we remain sustainable.
Professional development time? Book yourself or your staff onto one of our high quality training sessions that we are running nationwide.
|Book training now|
Help us build our evidence base of Musical Futures’ impact – share your classroom stories with us and we will share them on our website.
|Share your stories|
Any school musical equipment purchases from UCan Play earn us 3% commission.
For general online shopping
We’ve partnered with Go Raise – simply shop as usual with all your favourite retailers and they’ll donate at no extra cost to you!