Dj’ing can be a great way to engage students in musical learning using technology that is synonymous with many of the styles of music that young people are listening to today. Our DJ Skills course is designed for music teachers who are interested in developing their schemes of work to include DJ’ing at Key stages three and four, but who have limited experience in this area and want to develop their confidence and knowledge to support their students and plan effective schemes of learning using this technology.
With the inclusion of DJ’ing in the AQA, OCR and Eduqas exam syllabus, not to mention vocational courses, this course is designed to unpick the skills needed to succeed at GCSE and will provide video examples of moderated student performances alongside the grades they achieved.
The approach has been developed by a professional DJ and secondary school teacher, and has been carefully planned to ensure that the course allows plenty of time for practical learning so that teachers can become confident in mixing tracks, triggering samples and using a USB DJ controller alongside Serato DJ software.
Aims of the Course
- Explore ways to engage all students in practical, authentic music making through the use of DJ controllers
- Develop confidence in using DJ controllers and software to mix, sample and perform through DJ’ing
- Understand how the approach works with students – all Musical Futures courses are delivered by teachers in classroom settings who use these approaches with their students
- Discover DJ’ing: A hands-on exploration of all the necessary equipment & software, what it does and how to use it!
- Get creative: experimenting with mash-ups, loops and mixes
- Whole-Class DJ’ing: Practical ways to deliver DJ’ing with KS3 classes
- Performing at KS4: A look at the skills required to achieve an excellent performance at GCSE level
What Is Included?
- Full teacher guide
- DJ’ing resource pack including classroom delivery materials
- Royalty free tracks sorted by genre to use with your students
- Student created video guides to support your students learning in the classroom
- Discount code to purchase DJ controllers & software from our preferred supplier at significantly reduced cost
Who Is It For?
- Secondary music teachers
- Instrumental teachers
- Youth leaders/music leaders
Benefits of Musical Futures Training
- Based in a school setting – A chance to see another department/school in action
- Led by an experienced classroom teacher and professional DJ
- All of our courses are designed to give you the confidence, knowledge and resources to start delivery in your school the following day!
- An opportunity to network with other music teachers
What People Say About DJ Skills for Teachers
“Being able to talk through a student’s DJ performance with Andrew and finding out more about the standard of what my student is doing, why, etc. I now feel like I can mark his performance work more accurately and with a clearer understanding of what he is doing.”
“Really helpful and informative. Thank you! The trainer was really patient and explained things in an easy-to-understand way.”
“The teaching was great… lots of new and exciting ideas!”
“The training will allow me to implement these skills in the classroom and support students who have an interest in DJing as their instrument.”
Book your place
There are currently no upcoming events!
Register your interest we'll be in touch when we do.