Our Leading Creative Subjects in Secondary Schools course offers the opportunity to explore values-based leadership strategies focused on keeping practical engagement with the arts at the heart of the school. Subject leaders will have the chance to consider a range of strategies for formulating, communicating, and delivering a music/arts curriculum, preparing for Ofsted, and keeping music and the arts thriving within their schools.
This course will provide curriculum leaders with the confidence and ability to articulate a clear vision for a broad and balanced curriculum, in line with the new Ofsted framework. The challenges facing subject leaders will be considered and practical responses offered to issues such as working with senior leaders, curriculum design, Ofsted preparation, managing change, assessment, funding and successfully articulating the rationale behind any plans to senior leaders and inspectors.
Aims of the Course
- Learn strategies for ‘managing upwards’ and keeping your senior leaders on-side in maintaining/improving the position of music and the arts within your school
- Take-away ideas for curriculum planning based on sound musical principles, high educational standards and progression
- Develop an understanding of Ofsted’s ‘three I’s’ – intent, implementation, and impact, including how to communicate these to senior leaders and inspectors
- Learn how to plan assessment for Key Stage 3 which is meaningful, manageable, and satisfies the requirements of school policy
- Find out how you can bid for funding to help your department grow
The Place of Music and the Arts in Schools: Explore how schools are responding to the latest Ofsted framework, and where music and the arts fit into curriculum planning.
Curriculum Planning: Plan for the knowledge, skills, concepts and attributes that will be developed through your lessons, and ensure that progression is built into plans across all Key Stages.
Navigating Ofsted: Find out how to articulate your curriculum intent, implementation, and impact. Learn what you might expect in a ‘deep dive’ and how you can prepare for it.
Assessment: Explore a range of strategies for setting up an assessment system that works for your department, and provides valuable feedback to students about their progress without causing teacher burnout.
Funding: Learn about a range of sources for extra funding and how to write a successful bid, plus DIY ideas for making the most of funding opportunities.
What Is Included?
- All notes and course materials
- £100 voucher towards any Musical Futures resources of your choice
- Refreshments and lunch
Who Is It For?
- Classroom Teachers
- Heads of department or faculty leaders of arts based subjects
- Those who are aspiring to leadership roles within secondary schools
What Our Delegates Say
“Outstanding knowledge and understanding of presenter”
“This will help me to focus on aspects of developing my new role as Director of Performance Faculty – vision, assessment etc”
Benefits of Musical Futures Training
- Based in a school setting – a chance to see another department/school in action
- Led by a teacher with experience and success in leading a faculty
- Increase student participation in creative subjects
- All resources included
- An opportunity to network with teachers in similar roles
Book your place
There are currently no upcoming events!
Register your interest we'll be in touch when we do.