The BTEC vocational qualifications – both the Level 2 First Award in Music and the BTEC Tech Award in Music Practice provide an ideal programme of study for students at key stage four who have thrived through a practical approach to learning at key stage three. The qualifications continue to be approved by the DfE and are included in 2020 league tables. . Delegates who are teaching either specification are welcome to attend.
This course will ensure that delegates are able to develop practical approaches to delivery, understand the specification, assessment criteria and opportunities for practical, real-world and authentic learning offered by the qualification. We will also look at how Musical Futures resources can be used to enhance learning and make the course accessible for all students.
Led by classroom music teachers with extensive experience of delivering the BTEC qualification, this course includes sample student work along with model assignment briefs, teaching resources and assessment/verification protocols.
Note: This Musical Futures course is delivered by teachers with extensive experience of delivering the BTEC qualification – representatives from Pearson are not present on the day.
Aims of the Course
- Understand the requirements of theLevel 2 First Award in Music and the BTEC Tech Award in Music Practice specification and develop confidence to plan the course
- Be able to create effective assignment briefs
- Develop an understanding of the grading criteria and apply it to student work in order to assess effectively
- Explore resources that can help to deliver authentic learning experiences for students for a range of units
- Understand the systems and processes needed to deliver BTEC courses effectively
Develop your understanding of the course and the specification
Writing Assignment Briefs
Learn how to write assignment briefs that engage learners in practical, real-world learning activities and make the most of the Musical Futures informal learning and classroom workshopping pedagogies
Grading Criteria & Assessment
Understand how to unpick the assessment criteria in order to assess accurately
Practical Learning through BTEC Units
Explore our Musical Futures Resources and assignment briefs that are designed to enable your students to succeed in practical units (resources and assignment briefs are included as part of the course)
An opportunity to ask questions, share ideas, experiences and discuss the practicalities of running vocational music qualifications.
What Is Included?
- Notes & session materials
- Example assignment briefs
- Examples of student work (written and practical) that has been successfully moderated
- Full resource pack including teaching/delivery materials and assignment briefs
- Refreshments and lunch
Who Is It For?
- Heads of Music
- Classroom music teachers
- Instrumental teachers/freelance staff involved in BTEC delivery
Benefits of Musical Futures Training
- Based in a school setting – a chance to see another department/school in action
- Led by a teacher with experience and success in delivering the BTEC qualification with their own students
- Increase student participation in creative subjects
- All resources included
- An opportunity to network with other music teachers
Book your place
There are currently no upcoming events!
Register your interest we'll be in touch when we do.