Just Play is designed to provide a vibrant and authentic curriculum approach that engages students in whole class music making. The step by step resource supports the development of musical knowledge and rhythmic awareness alongside instrumental skill development on drums, guitar, bass, keyboard and ukulele.
The use of backing tracks and music that students like, enjoy and identify with throughout the resource ensures a high level of engagement from all learners. Opportunities for differentiation within the resource mean that it is equally suited to students at both primary and secondary stages of education from ages 9-14 (years 5 – 9), and can be adapted to cater for students of all abilities.
Aims of the Course
- Understand how to deliver outstanding lessons that are rooted in active music making
- Develop your confidence in playing drums, guitar, bass, keyboard and ukulele
- Explore ways to ensure that students are fully engaged in lessons
- Develop confidence in curriculum development to ensure students are developing knowledge through immersion in practical activities
- Develop classroom approaches that provide a catalyst to involve all students, including disadvantaged groups in music making
- Learn how to build essential performance skills amongst students that will promote achievement and attainment in music
- Building Skills: Explore how to develop instrumental skills in a whole class setting on ukulele, guitar, keyboards, bass and drums using both our Just Play resource and how this approach can foster outstanding learning in your own classroom.
- Performing: Perform a range of current popular songs and see how this resource can be used to scaffold learning and develop performance skills allowing all learners to engage and achieve, whatever their level of ability.
- Next Steps: Explore the best way to implement Just Play in your classroom/department and gain some practical advice from teachers on how to ensure that this approach can promote outstanding teaching and learning.
- Developing Just Play: Ideas for further developing essential musical skills using the Just Play resources as the basis for improvising and composing linked to key Musical Futures pedagogy.
- Everyone Can Play: Discover how our beginner ukulele resource, Everyone Can Play, can be used to kick-start whole class music-making and develop an innovative curriculum.
- Just Play In Action: Where possible, see the approach delivered to a class of students and see how self and peer assessment can be used to promote excellence in this approach.
What Is Included?
Who Is It For?
- Primary teachers (generalist and music specialists)
- Secondary music teachers
- Instrumental teachers engaged in small group or whole class instrumental learning
Benefits of Musical Futures Training
- Based in a school setting – A chance to see another department/school in action
- An opportunity to see a class in action (where possible)
- Led by experienced classroom teachers
- All of our courses are designed to give you the confidence, knowledge and resources to start delivery in your school the following day!
- An opportunity to network with other music teachers
Book your place
There are currently no upcoming events!
Register your interest we'll be in touch when we do.